Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 14: The Queen's Palace and Abbey Road!

A quick train ride this morning took us to Windsor Castle. Before knowing the significance of the castle, however, I thought it was just some old ruin that had been turned into a museum. Well, it turns out that it is actually the Queen's residence - when she's not at the Buckingham Palace anyways. After knowing that, the experience of actually being there was ten times more cool.
Windsor is the world's largest inhabited castle with over 1,000 rooms. One room that I thought was neat was a large hall with walls filled with knights' coats of arms. For knights that have committed crimes or that have brought any sort of shame to the royal family, their shields are literally covered in white, or "blotted out." There were probably about ten shields that I saw like that. It was also neat seeing the dining hall. On the audio tour, I learned that when they set the table for state meals, they actually measure out everything to be exactly perfect. -Thought that was interesting.

Only a smaallll portion of the castle
Beautiful landscaping

Inside the castle walls

A different view on the south side




 It was also neat seeing the Change of the Guards at the castle:


Abbey road was in a gorgeous part of town here in London- not in Liverpool, like I first thought, which saved me some time! It was quite a busy street with annoyed and rude drivers, but it was still fun!
Trying to do the Beatles Walk
We're facing the wrong way in this one, but it turned out better :)





























No comments:

Post a Comment