Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Night of [imaginary] Romance

Musee du quai Branly - Cultural Exhibition
Today our group had a late start, which was nice, so we had the morning to do what we pleased. A few of us girls decided to go back to the building with the green wall yesterday and viewed the cultural exhibits there. And I'm actually really glad that we did, because there was some neat stuff, including these cool masks:

Masquerade anyone? These masks were from the  geographic location of Oceania. Pretty neat!

Concerning the building design-aspect of the museum/exhibit, I thought it was cool how the walls had little sitting ledges all along them:
What a great idea, huh? That way if someone you're with takes longer that you, or if you need a rest, you can park it on the wall!
After our group met at 2pm, we headed on the bus to Château de Fontainebleau - a palace here in Paris where many kings lived for a time, including Louis XIV, Francis II, and Napoleon (-okay, he was an emperor, not a king). I liked this palace more than a lot of the other ones we've been through mostly because the interiors were more simple with colors that were more soft and elegant than many we've seen.
Front view of Fontainbleau

Lovely staircase in Fontainbleau. I really liked the yellow color.

F for Frandsen! Jk- Francis II

There was a lot of cool key holes- this one is in a secret door. Pretty wallpaper also.

This was my favorite room in Fontainbleau. The colors were pretty and warm with a hint of glistening gold .  I absolutely loved the roll top desk surfaced with mother of pearl- it had the prettiest shine!

A romantic get-away in the pond at Fontainbleau only accessible by boat. Can I have one? It would also be sweet to design one for a client.
Next we visited what became my most favorite place yet - the Château de Vaux le Vicomte. This palace also had simpler interiors and softer colors. It was beautiful. Behind this grandeur estate, however, lies a sad tale. The story goes that the architect, Nicholas Foquet, held an open house to celebrate his work, and that King Louis XIV had been invited. Once the king laid his eyes on Foquet's estate, anger grew within himself - because how could someone have a greater place than he?! The innocent Foquet was thrown in jail by the next morning where he spent 19 long years until his death. And so... his place is now a place of romance and tragedy. But, oh, how romantic and lovely? Can I pleeease live here??? Or at least a have my wedding reception here??!
Château de Vaux le Vicomte

The moat around Vaux

I really like the swirly bushes. So much more interesting that a normal rectangular of round one,

Phantom of the Opera?

Very huge gardens. Insane!  But so beautiful.
Candle lit garden. What's not romantic about that? 




No comments:

Post a Comment