Friday, June 17, 2011

Musee d' Orsay and Villa Sovoye

Not the best jumping pic...haha

A Green Wall! Love them. This one is just down the street a ways from our hotel, at the Musse de Quai

Another day filled with plenty of walking. We said good morning to the Eiffel Tower then headed to the art museum, Musee d' Orsay. The museum had a lovely collection of sculptures and paintings, including Seurat, van Gough, Monet, and Degas. Oh!- And I realized that I totally forgot to mention on yesterday's blog that I saw the Mona Lisa yesterday at the Louvre! How could I forget that? I don't know. Anyways, I really enjoyed the museum. There was I painting I unexpectedly fell in love with. The scene was in a field with a man and woman looking like they had just gathered some food from their crops. When I first saw it, I thought it was okay, but then Rachel commented on it saying, "Do you think they're praying over the food?" And for some reason, that interpretation gave the piece that much more meaning to me. I bought a print of it because I loved it so much!

Very petit, very comfortable, and very attractive.

 The Villa Sovoye:
Concerning the fact that it was finished in 1931, the design was pretty ahead of it time.
The deck- I loved it, mostly because it would make a great place for a dance party!   

After a lovely lunch consisting of a baguette and an apple, we headed on our way to the "machine for living," as it iconically known. Villa Sovoye was built by Swiss-born French architect, Le Corbusier. He focused on what is now known as Modern Architecture and International Style. My favorite furniture design of his is the Petit Comfort series:


                                                                And....Mona Lisa!
Smaller than I first expected, but still amazing to see! Behind two bullet-proof pieces of glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment